2021 #EarthOptimism Summit
Join us in celebrating conservation successes and learn what we can all do to make a difference
More than 30 passionate speakers presented compelling accounts of conservation success. These inspiring talks came from many different sources – from ground-breaking conservationists to inspiring youth champions, and from business leaders to engaged celebrities. We found out what is happening in the Cambridgeshire countryside and in a pioneering secondary school, and we journeyed from the forests of India to the wetlands of Kenya.
These talks were broken down into seven sessions, all of which are available on demand:
- Reasons for Optimism – Hear diverse perspectives on why the natural world and our responses to the environmental crisis inspire optimism, and discover how prospects for two very different wetlands are changing for the better.
- Choosing Sustainability – Practical solutions to addressing biodiversity loss and reducing emissions begin with us. Find out what we can do to eat more sustainably, cut out plastic waste, and approach the challenges ahead with ambition and hope.
- Innovating for Conservation – Stories of achieving conservation success in very different ways – from small-scale fishers to large-scale business, and from science to online gaming.
- Saving Species – Meet the heroes rescuing species around the world – from Brighton to Mauritius, via Mexico and the Caribbean – and learn what inspires and encourages them.
- Making Space for Nature – Despite all we hear in the media see there are many places around the world where people are successfully saving and restoring natural habitats. Discover what’s happening here in the UK, in India, and in some of Europe’s most endangered landscapes.
- Hope for our Planet – Join science broadcaster Liz Bonnin as she talks with the world’s favourite naturalist about why he is optimistic about our planet’s future, and asks him your questions.
- Stories from Around the World – Discover more inspiring examples of evidence-based conservation successes which are happening around the world.
Here are a few of our favourite talks to get you started:
Recognising that a thriving natural world is achievable only if we are all involved, our family-focused Solutions Fair explores how each of us can make a difference in our everyday lives. With top tips for lowering our food footprint and getting out into nature, and advice on actions from insulating our homes to joining campaigns, the stalls at the Fair set out dozens of practical and effective ideas for change.
The 49 different stalls were divided into 6 rooms, each of which explained how you could make changes in that particular area:
- Kitchen – Find out how eating chocolate can save a rainforest, how you can keep fish on your plate and in the sea, what decisions you can make to reduce the impact of your food choices on biodiversity and much more.
- Playroom – Activities aimed at children, from how insect pets can teach you about nature, to games to inspire you to get involved in wildlife conservation and from how to get the kids involved and engaged in reducing food waste, to how to make paper pots to reduce plastic pot pollution.
- Bedroom, Bathroom & Beyond – How can you green your older home? How can you go plastic-free in the bathroom? What changes can you make to have a practical, meaningful impact? Find out how here.
- Garden – There are loads of ways we can make a difference in our gardens, no matter how large or small. Discover how keeping parts of your garden wild can be of great benefit to biodiversity and how you can help Britain’s wild mammals.
- Office – Learn how to shrink your carbon footprint, how to separate fact from fiction, ways to help stop deforestation and take action, and how you can bring nature in through biophilic and living design.
- Out & About – There are loads of things you can do while out and about. Explore how you can take part in citizen science, connect with nature, help grow our urban forest and take action for the nature near you.
#EarthOptimism Cambridge 2021 would not have been possible without the generous support of our sponsors:
Inspiring talks by leading conservationists, popular naturalists, and passionate celebrities